The responsibilities of a webmaster may include:
- Designing the graphics and general appearance of the site
- Building and maintaining the back-end of the site by using a scripting language such as PHP, ASP.Net, Ruby etc.
- General site maintenance and updates
- Responding to user feedback
- Monitoring site traffic
- Compiling and reviewing site analytics
- On-page and off-page SEO
The term webmaster is one that is continually changing as the internet and surrounding industries continue to grow and develop. More often than not, many of the roles listed above are divided among various positions such as, designer, front-end developer, back-end developer, and SEO specialist.